2 Ekspresi Gagasan dalam Past Perfect Tense – Pengertian, Rumus dan Contoh Kalimat Past Perfect Tense – past perfect tense digunakan untuk menunjukkan suatu aksi di masa lampau yang masih berkaitan dengan suatu aksi lain sebelum dimasa lampau itu sendiri.
- Pengertian, Rumus dan Soal Passive Voice
- Pengertian, Contoh Noun Phrase dan Adjective
- Percakapan Bahasa Inggris Sehari-hari Holiday Plan
THE PAST PERFECT TENSE
Penggunaan Past Perfect Tense
Menceritakan sebuah tindakan yang sudah selesai sebelum tindakan lain di masa lalu
Rumus = had + past participle
Rumus Past Perfect Tense
- Subject + had + verb III + (past participle) + object
- Subject + had + not + verb III + object
- Had + subject + verb III + object ?
Contoh kalimat – Past Perfect tense:
They had been here before 1945 (+)
– mereka telah berada disini sebelum tahun 1945
They had not been here before 1945 (-)
– mereka belum berada disini sebelum tahun 1945
Had they been here before 1945 ? (?)
– apakah mereka telah berada disini sebelum 1945 ?
Look at these sentences taken from the reading text. Focus your attention on the verbs in italics.
- He had said he would marry the first woman who could see him.
- A chief lived in a village. His wife had died.
- Strong Wind himself heard them and knew that they had lied.
- Strong Wind’s sister was surprised because the girl had told the truth.
- Then Strong Wind’s sister knew that the girl could really see him. He had let her see him because she had told the truth.
The use of Past Perfect:
Completed Action Before Something in the Past
The Past Perfect expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past.
Example: I had met the beautiful girl before I came to this city.
Duration before something in the Past (non-continuous verb)
The Past Perfect Tense can be used to show that something started in the past and continued up until another action in the past.
Example: By the time we finished our study, we had been in Malang for five years.
Task 1: Grammar Exercise
Read the following sentences and change the bracketed verbs into correct forms.
- My plane landed at 8 pm yesterday. I ________________ (ask) the hotel staff to pick me up at the airport.
- John ________________ (repair) many cars before he received his mechanic’s license.
- She ________________ (never see) jackfruit before she came to Indonesia.
- Marie _____________ (feel) bad about selling her car because she _________________ ( own) it for ten years.
- We ____________________ (understand) the movie because we ________________ (read) the book about it.
- Kamal ___________________ (study) about Germany before he _______________ (go) there for his university education.
- I did not have any money to buy food because I __________(loose) my wallet.
- Ahmad ______________ (never be) to Mecca before last week trip to Masjidil Haram.
- We could not get a hotel room last night because we ____________(not book) in advance.
- We were not welcome by the family because we _____________(not make) a telephone call telling them that we would come last night.
Complete the following sentences using the words in the box. If needed, you may change the parts of speech.
- The poor peasants wear ______________ every day.
- You may not feel______________ of somebody else’s wealth.
- Coming home, her ______________ body made us anxious to know what had happened.
- Remain ______________ although your name is called for hundred times.
- She is always ______________ to me. I don’t know why.
- The ______________ is elastic. It can stretch as long as 60 centimetres.
- She ______________ to speak in her father’s presence.
- The great, fearless ______________ fight for his beloved country.
- They used ______________ to pull the carts.
- The ______________ blew the young man’s hat.
- The ______________ hand help her solve the chronic problem.
- The ______________ was pulled by two dogs.
- The girl is ______________ and beautiful.
- Bahasa Inggris SMA/MA/SMK/MAK Kelas X, Kementerian Pendidikan dan kebudayaan Republik Indonesia, Kurikulum 2013 Edisi revisi 2017. 2017)