English Conversation About How to Build House – this is English Conversation how to build house between an architect Mr. Wijaya and Mrs. Gunawan.
- Here’s the blue print of your future house. Untuk maksud yang sama dapat kita katakan: here’s the ground plan of your future house
- I’ve designed it according to your wishes. Untuk maksud yang sama dapat kita katakana: I’ve designed it according to what you want
- The front part of the house looks all right. Untuk maksud yang sama dapat kita katakana: the front of the house looks fine/good/okay
- Let’s go over it. Untuk maksud yang sama dapat kita katakana: let’s examine it, let’s look at it closely
- I’ll talk it over with my husband. Untuk maksud yang sama dapat kita katakana: I’ll discuss it with my husbandi
- I’ll get in touch with you. Untuk maksud yang sama dapat kita katakana: I’ll contact you
Dialogue an architect Mr. wijaya is having a discussion with mrs. Gunawan, someone who wants to have a house built
W = Mr. wijaya
G = Mrs. Gunawan
W = (unfolding the blue print) now, mrs gunawan here’s the blue print of your future house, I’ve designed it according to your wishes
G = let me see. Well, the plot is ten meters by twenty five meters. That’s right. Then there is a garden and next to it is the verandah. Both are on the left. And facing the front gate is the garage. So far so good. The front of the house looks all right.
W = I believe the inside of the house pleases you. Let’s go over it
G = that’s fine. Okay this is the sitting-room where we receive guest. Hmm… the right size. Then there is the living-room. By the way don’t you think it is too small? My husband and I have a gathering every month and each time about twenty to thirty people come. I don’t think this is large enough.
W = but you must remember that some of the space goes to the main bedroom in front of it
G = so, this is the bedroom, eh? And the next two rooms must be the smaller bedrooms. I’m afraid they are much smaller than what I have had in mind
W = but again, you must remember that some of the space must go to the dining room and the kitchen which are opposite the two smaller bedrooms. Also you have the bathroom at the back of the house and opposite it is the store room. However, if you wish to have larger bedrooms and a bigger living room, you’d better have two-storeyed house. Then all the bedrooms go to the second floor.
G = that’s a good idea. But the cost must be higher because we must a lot more building materials to make a stronger foundations and to cast the upper floor. Am I right? Can you give some idea about the cost of building a two-storeyed house?
W = Well, roughly speaking the cost is about twenty or thirty percent higher. But then you can have a spacious living-room, comfortably large bedrooms, better ventilation, and more sunshine, especially if you set aside some space at the back of the house for a small garden
G = that sounds fine. However, I’ll talk it over with my husband. I’ll get touch with you again soon.
Wordlist (daftar kata)
- According to = menurut pendapat
- Blue print = denah rumah
- Building materials = bahan-bahan bangunan
- Comfortably = nyaman
- Cast = mencor
- Facing = menghadap
- Gathering = pertemuan
- Get in touch = menghubungi
- Go over = melihat dengan teliti
- Main = utama
- Next to = disebelahnya
- Pleases = berkenan
- Roughly speaking = secara kasar
- Set aside = menyisihkan
- Spacious = lapang
- Talk over = mendiskusikan
- Unfolding = menggelar
- Ventilation = ventilasi
- Verandah = beranda
- To have a house built. Pola: to have + something + past participle. Bedakan: I’m building a house dengan I’m having a house built
- According to. Jangan dipakai dengan pronominal me, you, us. According to me /you/us, seharusnya in my/your /our opinion
- Ten meters by twenty five meters. Untuk menyatakan ukuran luas / isi kita gunakan by bukan times. Ten meters times twenty five meters (salah), seharusnya ten meters by twenty five meters. Times dipakai untuk perkalian. Contoh: 5 X 7 = 35 ( five times seven are thirty five)
- Pengertiannya sama dengan opposite
- Looks all right. Pola: looks + adj, sounds + adj (untuk kedengarannya). Kedua-duanya sebenarnya berarti nampaknya: seem + adj
- Don’t think this is…. Untuk menyatakan ….pikir….tidak bentuk negatifnya di depan. Katakan: I don’t think this is large enough, bukan I think it isn’t large enough
Exercise (latihan) terjemahkanlah kalimat-kalimat dibawah ini kedalam bahasa inggris
- Bagaimana denah rumah ini menurut anda?
- Saya piker tidak terdapat cukup ventilasi di ruang ini
- Kapan anda (menyuruh orang) membangun rumah ini?
- Ada bangunan bertingkat lima di seberang rumah saya
- Lukisan karya jeihan ini kelihatan bagus di ruang tamu anda
Sumber: Conversations for everyday situations, Lie Hua, B. Satyawijaya, Kesaint Blanc. 1997