Keterkaitan Kata Kerja Bantu (Auxiliary) dengan Verba Utama – Kata is, has, dan should serta kata bantu-kata bantu lainnya (auxiliary) hampir selalu dibutuhkan oleh main verb (verba utama) yang kita gunakan baik dalam bahasa inggris tulisan maupun lisan (written/spoken English).
- Mr. Mustafa is teaching his children how to read the Holy Quran
- Mr. Mustafa should teach his children how to read the Holy Quran
- Mr. Mustafa has taught his children how to read the Holy Quran
Oleh karena itu,hindarilah kecenderungan penafian be sebelum -ing (continuous), have sebelum participle dan modal sebelum verb word seperti teach! Dalam hal ini, meskipun kalimat the sun shining when I left this morning (Ketika saya berangkat tadi pagi, matahari bersinar) misalnya, terkesan tak bermasalah, tetapi sesungguhnya ia keliru. Alasannya, antara kata the sun dan shining diperlukan adanya be berupa was karena tense kalimat tersebut adalah past continuous. Jadi, kalimat tadi seharusnya berbunyi the sun was shining when I left this morning.
- In my opinion it is too soon to make a decision
- In my opinion it is necessary that we be careful
Seperti dalam contoh 1 diatas, dalam contoh 2 ini juga terdapat kata yang sering disepelekan penggunaannya sehingga terjadi missing main verb (raibnya verba utama) di samping missing auxiliary (raibnya kata kerja bantu). Dalam contoh 2, penafian kata is sebagai main verb sering terkesan tak apa-apa. Kalimat-kalimat lain yang juga sering di ucapkan tanpa main verb diantaranya he almost always a lot of funyang seharusnya he is almost always a lot of fun yang kurang lebih bermakna: bergaul dengannya hampir selalu menyenangkan.
- There’s an interesting story about the prophet Muhammad. He tell us tonight
- His marriage was a controversy. But his relatives coming to wedding party
- The prettiest girl in our school white skin, long hair, and beautiful eyes
- Do you know where does she live?
- She used to living in the house near our mosque
- There’s an interesting story about the prophet Muhammad. He will tell us tonight
- His marriage was a controversy. But his relatives were coming to wedding party
- The prettiest girl in our school has white skin, long hair, and beautiful eyes
- Do you know where does she lives?
- She was used to living in the house near our mosque
Correct the following sentences by inserting suitable auxiliaries or main verbs
- Mr. Abdullah teaching his pupils how to write Arabic
- Once in a while his wife not in agreement, and neither is he
- Aida sick, so that she didn’t go to school yesterday.
- If my friend, Michael, had studied Indonesian diligently, he could spoken it fluently
- Michael had hoped that he go to Indonesia a year ago
- Do you know whether the midnight movie good?
- Gold coast the most beautiful resort in Australia
- Julie McLeod who was born in Brisbane was his good friend he in Sydney
- Do you know where the hotel Indonesia?
- It located on Jalan Thamrin in the capital city of Indonesia
Sumber: Muhibbin Syah. Cara Mudah Menerapkan English Grammar Kaidah & Latihan untuk Rujukan Belajar Sendiri. 2006. PT Raja Grafindo Persada, Jakarta