Pengertian, Contoh Noun Phrase dan Adjective – artikel ini tentang noun phrase dan adjective, dan disini juga ada tiga contoh dan contoh soalnya.
Nouns and Adjectives
When describing, writers use many noun phrases in trying to make readers get the mental picture of what is being described. As you know, noun is a thing, a place, or a person, an animal, while adjective is a word that describes a noun. An adjective that describes a noun is called a modifier. A noun that goes with a modifier is called a noun phrase. Observe where the position of the modifier is.
- Beautiful bird
- Unique monkey
- Enormous nose
- White marbie
- Intricate design
- Precious stones
Study the following sentences. Identify the noun phrase by circling the adjectives and underlining the noun. Draw an arrow to show how the adjectives modify the nouns. Number 1 is done for you as an example.
- Taj Mahal offers spectacular view.
- Tanjung Puting National Park offers an impressive experience.
- The traveling in the boat offers another unforgettable experience.
- At night, you can enjoy the clear sky and the bright stars.
- Local people call proboscis monkeys Bekantan.
- Fruits are orangutans’ favorite food.
- Keeping orangutans as our pet is an illegal act.
- In the rehabilitation site, ex-captive orangutans learn to live a natural life.
- In a real jungle, we can see many incredible animals.Imagine yourself to be in the jungle and meet these special animals in their original habitat.
- The gigantic trees in the forest indicate that the forest is well preserved.
- The slender minarets make the palace beautiful.
- The remains were kept in the octagonal chamber.
- Her actual remains lie below, at garden level.
From the previous task, you have reviewed noun phrases made by combining adjectives and nouns, such as pristine jungle, beautiful garden, precious stones, expensive marble, etc. Those kinds of adjectives are called opinion adjectives because the adjectives tell about our opinion about something. If we want to give more information, we can add more modifiers to the thing (noun) we describe. For instance, in addition to the opinion adjectives, we can also inform people about the size, and the color, the age, and nationality of the thing (noun). Look at the following examples. Pay attention to the order of the modifiers. Where is the position of the opinion adjectives?
a beautiful old tree → opinion age noun
a beautiful reddish leaf → opinion color noun
a beautiful Indonesian island → opinion nationality noun
The following is the common word order of adjectives before a noun.
However, it is very rare to find noun phrases with more than 3 modifiers like the examples in the table above. Now, read the phrases below. Identify the modifiers. See number 1 as an example.
- large black stones → size color noun
- a shallow small lake → _____ _____ _____
- cold tiny droplets → _____ _____ _____
- sweet yellow corns → _____ _____ _____
- powerful small ants → _____ _____ _____
- beautiful white palace → _____ _____ _____
- a unique golden monkey → _____ _____ _____
- favorite slender minarets → _____ _____ _____
- an enormous reddish snout → _____ _____ _____
- misty grey morning → _____ _____ _____
- an octagonal marble chamber → _____ _____ _____ _____
- four smaller domes → _____ _____ _____ _____
- breathtaking blue view → _____ _____ _____ _____
(Source: Bahasa Inggris SMA/MA/SMK/MAK Kelas X, Kementerian Pendidikan dan kebudayaan Republik Indonesia, Kurikulum 2013 Edisi revisi 2017. 2017)
Related post: Contoh Percakapan Bahasa Inggris Holiday Plan