Penggunaan Had hoped untuk Hasrat di Masa Lalu – Penggunaan kata hope untuk hasrat di Masa lalu artinya sangat mirip dengan kata wish, yakni berharap atau berhasrat, dan dapat digunakan untuk mengungkapkan keinginan di masa lampau, masa kini dan masa yang akan datang.
- I had hoped that she/you would come to the class on time
- he had hoped that she/you would come to the class on time
- Ali had hoped that he would marry fatimah a year ago
- fatimah had hoped that he would marry fatimah a year ago
contoh, she hopes to get a job overseas/she wishes to get a job overseas. maksudnya, ia amat berhasrat untuk bekerja di luar negeri karena memang ia berpeluang atau memenuhi syarat untuk itu.
Baca juga: Pernyataan Pilihan (Would rather)
namun apabila kata hope hendak digunakan untuk menyatakan hasrat masa lampau yang tak tercapai, maka pola …had hoped that….would… harus figunakan. dalam hal ini, harus dihindari penggunaan infinitive seperti she had hoped that he would to come there, dan verb word seperti she had hoped that he come there, serta -ing seperti she had hoped that he would coming there. selanjutnya, kata that dapat diterjemahkan dengan bahwa/agar, tetapi lebih baik kita nafikan saja. jadi kalimat Ahmad had hoped that he would marry her a year ago cukup diartikan dengan semula ahmad berhasrat menikahinya setahun lalu. perhatikanlah contoh 2 diatas!
- the students had hoped that mr. mcleod teach them english longer
- tini had hoped that she study in the middle east, but her arabic was still poor
- our english teacher, mr. george, had hoped that we finishing our homework yesterday
- she had hoped that her close classmate, amir, would to know how much she loved him
- her mother had hoped that she would getting married, but she couldn’t find her right man
- the students had hoped that mr. mcleod would teach them english longer
- tini had hoped that she would study in the middle east, but her arabic was still poor
- our english teacher, mr. george, had hoped that we would finish our homework yesterday
- she had hoped that her close classmate, amir, would know how much she loved him
- her mother had hoped that she would get married, but she couldn’t find her right man
put one of underlined words or phrases into correct form. remember that there is only incorrect word or phrase in each question.
- the students have hoped that mr. abdullah would teach them arabic longer
- they had hoped that their arabic teacher will be convenient to teach them again
- did he want to buy a car? no, but he had hoped that i will lend him one
- he intended to visit her, but she has hoped that he wouldn’t see her again
- we had hoped that they would being a happy couple, but they decided to split up
- their parents mad them divorce although they had hoped that they will not get divorced
- they had hoped that they can remarry despite their parents disagreement
- the policeman had hoped that he should help, but he could not arrive in time
- i had hoped that i can carry out the piilgrimage, but i didn’t have much money
- the boy had hoped that he will finish fasting even tough he had a bad headache.
Sumber: Muhibbin Syah. Cara Mudah Menerapkan English Grammar Kaidah & Latihan untuk Rujukan Belajar Sendiri. 2006. PT Raja Grafindo Persada, Jakarta