Penggunaan -ing Pronomina Kepemilikan (Her misunderstanding him) – Frasa-frasa yang bergaris bawah di bawah merupakan -ing form yang dibatasi oleh pronomina posesif/kepemilikan (possessive pronoun).
- They can count on her helping them
- They look forward to her helping them
- Amir regretted her misunderstanding him
- Amir regretted her leaving so suddenly
Kata misunderstanding itu, misalnya merupakan kata benda kerja (gerund) yang dimiliki oleh dia atau her yakni dia perempuan. Jadi, amir regretted her misunderstanding him, artinya: “Amir kecewa terhadap kesalahanpahaman dia (perempuan) terhadap dirinya (Amir).
Perlu dicatat, bahwa verba-verba yang memerlukan -ing form sebagaimana tersebut dalam unit 01 contoh 2 dan 3 dimuka, juga diperlakukan sama dengan contoh-contoh dalam unit 24 ini. Namun, -ing form yang dipakai oleh verba-verba selain itu seperti remember atau imagine (membayangkan) dapat pula menggunakan object pronoun disamping menggunakan possessive pronoun dengan makna atau konotasi yang relative sama. Contoh can you imagine him making her pregnant? Atau can you imagine his making her pregnant? Kalimat-kalimat ini tidak menafikan fungsi dia (him). Namun, penekanannya pada perbuatan terkutuk menghamili (making pregnant) di luar nikah yang dia lakukan terhadapnya (her).
- Can you imagine he being so stupid?
- I don’t understand why he keeps on him being impolite
- I’d appreciate your letting I know about her condition
- She was sick and the doctor insisted on she taking a leave for absence
- Her father didn’t approve of hers studying in the United States
- Can you imagine him/his being so stupid?
- I don’t understand why he keeps on his being impolite
- I’d appreciate your letting me know about her condition
- She was sick and the doctor insisted on her taking a leave for absence
- Her father didn’t approve of her studying in the United States
Change one of the underlined words or phrases into correct form. Remember that there is only one incorrect word or phrase in each question
- Did he deny he being mistaken about it?
- If I’m not mistaken, he admitted him driving too fast.
- Do you mind them coming with us?
- I appreciate you coming with them
- He is surprised by he having to pay for the accident
- she must see his transcripts prior to she issuing him a registration form
- does Tini’s father forbid hers being away from home with Badu, the naughty boy?
- Her parents can’t approve of him making her a fun
- Do they regret she staying with him devoid of marriage?
- They object to she staying with him because they are religious parents
Sumber: Muhibbin Syah. Cara Mudah Menerapkan English Grammar Kaidah & Latihan untuk Rujukan Belajar Sendiri. 2006. PT Raja Grafindo Persada, Jakarta