Penggunaan Pronomina Penghubung Whose – Whose merupakan bentuk kepemilikan dari relative pronoun who yang berarti “yang … nya”. Possessive pronoun ini tidak hanya dipakai untuk relative pronoun yang merujuk pada manusia saja, tetapi juga pada hewan dan barang.
- The student whose name is Muhammad is going to study abroad
- The student whose father went to Mecca is going to study abroad
- The student whose English is very fluent is going to study abroad
- The cat whose tail is long died yesterday afternoon
- The cat whose one of his legs was broken died yesterday afternoon
- The house whose windows are broken is unoccupied
- The house whose front yard is huge is unoccupied
Whose dalam contoh 3 dapat diganti dengan of which. Jadi, the house whose windows are broken … (rumah yang jendela-jendelanya rusak itu …) dapat diubah menjadi the house of which the windows are broken … selanjutnya, kalimat ini dapat pula disederhanakan menjadi the house with the broken windows …
Selain itu, seperti relative pronoun lainnya, relative pronoun whose juga tidak mengenal batas waktu yang digunakan tenses, dan future tense. Contoh, the student whose father is a farmer is going to study overseas (mahasiswa yang ayahnya seorang petani itu akan belajar ke luar negeri). Untuk tense-tense petani itu akan belajar ke luar negeri). Untuk tense-tense lainnya, dapat dianalogikan dengan contoh 2 dan 3 di atas. (Baca juga: Pengertian dan Bentuk Kata Singular dan Plural Form)
- Is that man who wife was on TV last night?
- She is a novelist whom reputation has grown fast
- The church, which the fence is broken, looks very old
- The mosque who wall is white was built some years ago
- The bird with legs long is called heron or stork
- Is that man whose wife was on TV last night?
- She is a novelist whose reputation has grown fast
- The church of which the fence is broken looks very old
- The mosque whose wall is white was built some years ago
- The bird with long legs is called heron or stork
Choose one of the words or phrases is brackets suitable to the sentences below.
- Michael Jackson (who/whose) music you have been listening to is my favourite composer
- John’s favorite food is pizza (whose stuff/with stuff) is wheat
- His old van (of which/whose) the doors are broken is being fixed in a garage
- Will your brother (which/whose) big book I borrowed see me today?
- Did your cat (which/whose) tail is short catch my parrot?
- The cat (with/whose) the long tail caught your bird
- frank (whom/whose) his wife taught us English died of an accident
- Did the lady (whose/which is) husband died feel sad?
- Was she the only woman (who husband/whose husband) died of that accident?
- It is suggested that everyone (with/whose) fate is unlucky place his trust in God.
Sumber: Muhibbin Syah. Cara Mudah Menerapkan English Grammar Kaidah & Latihan untuk Rujukan Belajar Sendiri. 2006. PT Raja Grafindo Persada, Jakarta