Penggunaan Used to untuk Kebiasaan di Masa Lalu – Penggunaan frasa used to searti dengan frasa be used to -ing yakni pernah atau biasanya (tetapi di masa lampau).
- I used to live in a remote village
- he used to live in a remote village
- they used to live in a remote village
- I/he was used to living in a rural area
- they were used to living in a rural area
bentuk negatif dan pertanyaan used to dalam gaya lama (old-fashioned) adalah used not to disingkat usedn’t to used … to…? namun, pola-pola lama ini sekarang hampir tak pernah dipakai lagi. sebagai gantinya, didn’t use to dan did … use to … ? sangat lazim digunakan orang. contoh: ” did you use to live in jakarta?” (apakah anda dulu pernah tinggal di jakarta?) “no, I didn’t use to live in the city” (tidak, dulu saya tak pernah tinggal di kota itu).
Baca juga: Penggunaan Know untuk Menyatakan Kemampuan
hindarilah penggunaan was dan were sesudah subjek apabila -ing form tidak dipakai setelah used to! selanjutnya penggunaan verb word seperti live sebagai pengganti -ing form (living) hendaknya dihindari apabila was dan were akan digunakan sesudah subjek.
- he was used to study islamic law in the middle east
- did ahmad george use to drinking alcohol before he became a muslim?
- mr. george was used to drink a lot of alcohol
- was aishah used to speak before public?
- she used to speaking before public when she led her political party
- he was used to studying islamic law in the middle east or he used to study islamic law in the middle east
- did ahmad george use to drink alcohol before he became a muslim? or was ahmad george use to drinking alcohol before he became a muslim?
- mr. george was used to drinking a lot of alcohol or mr. george used to drink a lot of alcohol
- was aishah used to speaking before public? or did aishah used to speak before public?
- she was used to speaking before public when she led her political party or she used to speaking before public when she led her political party
complete the sentences on the lef-hand side by using words or phrases available on the right-hand side. insert a, b, c, etc. suitable to the sentences
- they used to study …
- they were … before public
- was she … early when she was a young girls?
- she was a lazy girl and … very late
- did he … her boyfriend?
- he was not her boyfriend but … being her husband
- ere you used to … because of thirst?
- we used to … because of stomachache
- … liquor when you were abroad?
- i didn’t use … and neither did my friend
a. breaking the fast
b. break fasting
c. he was used to
d. did you use to drink
e. used to speaking
f. to dink liquor
g. used to be
h. at the university
i. used to get up
j. used getting up
k. used to getting up
l. did you use to drinking
Sumber: Muhibbin Syah. Cara Mudah Menerapkan English Grammar Kaidah & Latihan untuk Rujukan Belajar Sendiri. 2006. PT Raja Grafindo Persada, Jakarta