Pernyataan yang Berlawanan dengan Kenyataan (If…were) – Pernyataan berlawanan dengan kenyataan if were di bawah ini mengungkapkan sesuatu yang tidak terjadi sesuai dengan harapan, sehingga si pembicara tak dapat melakukan sesuatu.
- If the lecture were on Saturday, I could go
- If the seminar were on Saturday, I could go
- If the party were on Saturday, I could go
Jadi if the party were on saturday, I could go menyiratkan bahwa si pembicara tidak dapat menghadiri pesta karena pesta tersebut tidak diselenggarakan pada hari sabtu. selain itu, pola if diatas dapat berkonotasi anjuran/nasihat, seperti if I were you, I would get the job. maksudnya, pekerjaan itu sebaiknya kau ambil saja.
- I/we/wish that the party were on saturday
- I/we/wish that the lecture were on saturday
- I/we/wish that the seminar were on saturday
- She/he wishes that the party were on saturday
- She/he wishes that the lecture were on saturday
- She/he wishes that the seminar were on saturday
kalimat di atas pada prinsipnya sama dengan contoh 1 yakni mengungkapkan hasrat yang berlawanan dengan kenyataan. perbedaannya, contoh 1 menggunakan if…were, sedang contoh 2 menggunakan …wish that….were. dalam hal ini, hindarilah kecenderungan penggunaan be selain were! alasannya, dalam menyatakan hal yang berlawanan dengan fakta yang ada, were berlaku untuk semua pronomina baik tunggal maupun jamak.
- If I was you, I would not go to the party with her
- I wish that the Sundanese story,”Si kabayan”, was true
- If fasting was not so exhausting, every kid could do it perfectly
- Every child will perform fasting if it were not wearying
- Good Muslim parents generally wished that their children were more interested in performing prayers and reading the Holy Quran
- If I were you, I would not go to the party with her
- I wish that the Sundanese story,”Si kabayan”, were true
- If fasting were not so exhausting, every kid could do it perfectly
- Every child would perform fasting if it were not wearying
- Good Muslim parents generally wish that their children were more interested in performing prayers and reading the Holy Quran
Complete the sentences on left-hand side by using suitable words or phrases available on the right-hand side. insert a, b, c, etc. suitable to the sentences.
- I wish that I were rich. so that, I ….
- Why don’t you marry her? If I were you…
- the story is very interesting. I wish…
- ….from here I could go for the weekend
- can you come to their wedding party? …
- ….on sunday. so that, I could go
- ….he were not her ex-husband
- he wishes that she ….
- his parents wish that …
- they also wish that he were …
Suitabel words or phrases
a. I would marry her
b. if gold coast were not so far
c. If it were on sunday, I could go
d. she wishes that
e. were a widow
f. could pay the zakah (religous tax)
g. I wish the party were
h. that it were true
i. he were good at religious affairs
j. I will marry her
k. a devoted muslim
l. was a widow
Sumber: Muhibbin Syah. Cara Mudah Menerapkan English Grammar Kaidah & Latihan untuk Rujukan Belajar Sendiri. 2006. PT Raja Grafindo Persada, Jakarta