Pernyataan Hasrat dan Harapan Desire in the Past – Kalimat dibawah ini adalah contoh pola ungkapan yang disebut desire in the past yakni hasrat/harapan di masa lampau yang belum atau tidak tercapai. Untuk menyatakan hasrat di masa lalu bentuk pertama verba wish (present) yang digabung dengan had + participle, could have + participle, dan would have + participle harus digunakan. Jadi, untuk menyatakan hasrat anda untuk pergi ke luar negeri yang hingga kini tak tercapai misalnya, dapat diungkapkan dengan kalimat I wish that I had gone abroad.
- Mr. and Mrs. Sharif wish that their son could have graduated last year
- Mr. and Mrs. Sharif wish that their son had graduated last year
- Mr. and Mrs. Sharif wish that their son would have graduated last year
Kalimat dibawah ini adalah contoh pola ungkapa yang disebut desire for custom and future event, yakni hasrat terhadap berlangsungnya sesuatu sebagai kebiasaan dan terhadap terjadinya peristiwa di masa yang akan dating. Untuk menyatakan hasrat-hasrat tersebut, present verb wish yang digabung dengan past verb (seperti taught) atau could + present verb atau would + present verb (contoh 2 diatas) harus digunakan.
- He wishes that Miss Deborah taught English every day
- They wish that Miss Deborah could teach English tomorrow
- He wishes that Miss Deborah would teach English next week
Hindarilah kecenderungan menggunakan have/has sebagai pengganti had! Selain tiu, penggunaan can dan will sebagai pengganti could fan would (contoh 2) juga harus dihindari meskipun kata wish tidak dalam bentuk ke-2, wished. Adapun penafian that jika dikehendaki tak perlu dielakkan, sebab sudah amat lazim dalam percakapan sehari-hari.
- She wishes that her youngest son has fasted during the last month of Ramadan
- Her youngest son wished that she had not woken him up to have a postmidnight meal
- All farmers wish that the dry season can end soon
- All of them wish that the rainy season will start next week
- The farmers wished that they could pay the religious tax the zakah every year.
- She wishes that her youngest son had fasted during the last month of Ramadan
- Her youngest son wishes that she had not woken him up to have a postmidnight meal
- All farmers wish that the dry season could end soon
- All of them wish that the rainy season would start next week
- The farmers wish that they could pay the religious tax the zakah every year.
Change one of the underlined words or phrases into correct form. Remember that there is only one incorrect word or phrase in each question.
- Does the old widow ever wish that she remains young in her lifetime?
- When she looks at her old photograph, she often wish that she had not lost her beauty
- The man is unemployed, therefore, he wished that he would get a job someday soon
- By working hard, he wishes that he can improve his family life
- I don’t like cold weather. I wish that the weather will get warmer
- Did you come to the party? I wish that I will have gone there
- Sorry, I don’t know. I wish I know how to do it
- Sorry, I didn’t know. I wished I could have known hot to do it
- Can you read the Holy Quran fluently? I wish I can read it fluently as well as nicely
- All devoted Muslims wish that they will dwell in paradise
Sumber: Muhibbin Syah. Cara Mudah Menerapkan English Grammar Kaidah & Latihan untuk Rujukan Belajar Sendiri. 2006. PT Raja Grafindo Persada, Jakarta