Phone Calls and Messages Conversations – Ekspresi dalam percakapan Bahasa Inggris tentang phone calls and messages conversations adalah percakapan bagaimana menerima panggilan telepon dan pesan singkat dalam berkomunikasi bahasa inggris.
- Good morning/afternoon/evening
- Can/may I speak to …?
- This is (name) speaking
If caller is looking for someone else
- Who is calling, please?
- Can/could I have your name?
- One moment.
- I’ll put you through to …
- I’ll connect you to …
- I’m sorry, but he is unavailable at the moment
- Can I take a message?
If caller is looking for you
- Yes, this is he/she
If you want to inform the person the caller is looking for
- (name) is on line 1.
- I have (name) on line 1.
- (name) is on hold.
- I have put (name) on hold.
A little note: A short, simple word like “by” can change the meaning of a sentence. Here is an example:
- “I baked the cake myself” >> I baked the cake, not my mom, not my sister.
- “I baked the cake by myself” >> I baked the cake alone, without my mom or my sister around.
She is a manager, she is very loyal to her company
She is a manager who is very loyal to her company
He is talented writer. His books are famous all over the world
He is talented writer whose books are famous all over the world
There is one very rude customer . I always try to avoid him
There is one very rude customer whom I always try to avoid him
Table 8 asked to their bill. Table 8’s bill has not been printed
The bill which/that Table 8 asked for has not been printed
- When; tomorrow is the day when our new campaign will be broadcast
- Where; this is place where we will have our next meeting
- Why; My family is the reason why I work very hard
Indicate a reported speech by saying:
- … said that …
- … said to me/you/her/him/us/them that …
- … asked me/you/her/him/us/them whether/if …
- … told me/you/her/him/us/them to/that …
It is incorrect to say:
- said … me
- asked TO me
- told TO me
- I work as an Executive assistant
- I am working on a big project
- She said that she worked as an Executive Assistant
- She said that she was working on a big project
- She told me that she was working on a big project
- Do as I tell you.
- Don’t forget your badge.
- He told me to do as he told me
- He told me not to forget my badge
- What are you doing?
- What are they doing?
- Do you like your job?
- Are you okay?
What are you doing
- He asked me what I was doing
- He wanted to know what I was doing
- He wondered what I was doing
What are they doing?
- He asked me what they were doing
- He wanted to know what they were doing
- He wondered what they were doing
Do you like your job?
- He asked me whether/if I liked my job
- He wanted to know whether/if I liked my job
- He wondered whether/if I liked my job
Are you okay?
- He asked me whether/if I was okay
- He wanted to know whether/if I was okay
- He wondered whether/if I was okay
Sumber: Practice Your English Competence untuk SMK dan MAK Kelas XI. 2011. Penerbit Erlangga
Lihat juga: Questions and Answers Daily Activities & Hobbies