Pronomina Object (He asked her/Let’s her, etc.) – Object pronouns/pronomina objek seperti me, him, us dan seterusnya adalah pronomina pelengkap penderita, yakni objek yang dikenai perlakuan bukan pelaku, dan posisinya tak lazim di awal kalimat.
- He asked her whether she was satisfied
- He asked us whether we were satisfied
- He asked me whether I was satisfied
- Let him accomplish the assignment at home
- Let us (you and me) try to reach an agreement
- Let her cook a different cuisine
Kata let (marilah/biarkanlah/izinkanlah) dalam konteks kalimat seperti contoh 1 dan 2 diatas selalu memerlukan adanya objek, khususnya object pronouns bukan subject pronouns. jadi, kalimat yang benar adalahLet her cook a different cuisine dalam arti, misalnya, Let Rita cook a different cuisine (Biarlah dia/Rita memasak masakan yang lain, bukan Let she….. (Baca juga: Pronomina Subject (It is he/it is you, etc.)
Selanjutnya, apabila jenis kelamin orang atau hewan tidak diketahui maka pronomina it sangat lazim dipakai. Contoh, Look at that long-haired child. Is it a boy or a girl? artinya, Lihatlah anak yang berambut panjang itu! anak lelakikah dia atau anak perempuankan dia?
- She’s expecting another child and hopes he will be a boy
- The long-haired kid was so happy that his face lit up with pleasure
- he often helps my friend and I with our learning difficulties
- Do you really believe that I have blamed they for the accident?
- There is a brand new computer on the table. Does it belong to she?
- She’s expecting another child and hopes it will be a boy
- The long-haired kid was so happy that its face lit up with pleasure
- he often helps my friend and me with our learning difficulties
- Do you really believe that I have blamed them for the accident?
- There is a brand new computer on the table. Does it belong to her?
Put the underlined object pronouns into correct forms if necessary.
- My phone is ringing. someone must be calling I now
- If you had seen me two days ago, I could have lent you some money
- Was it he who asked she whether she needed a help?
- She didn’t tell his that she needed an aid
- Let he and her promise not to quarrel about such unimportant matters anymore
- Her husband was used to telling she lies
- She said to he, “Would you please not tell me a lie”.
- He told hers that he promised to be an honest man
- He also said to she, “Honesty is the best policy”
- Most people believe that sincere fasting can make we honest as well as patient.
Sumber: Muhibbin Syah. Cara Mudah Menerapkan English Grammar Kaidah & Latihan untuk Rujukan Belajar Sendiri. 2006. PT Raja Grafindo Persada, Jakarta