Pronomina Reflexive (Myself, ourselves, etc.) – kata-kata yang bergaris bawah di atas adalah reflexive pronouns, yakni pronominal yang merefleksikan diri orang, hewan, barang, dan seterusnya yang pada umumnya merujuk kepada subjek klausa atau kalimat.
- He can teach himself how to understand English better.
- They can teach themselves how to understand English better.
- She herself washes her clothes, not her mother
- we ourselves wash our clothes, not our mother
- I myself wash my clothes, not my mother
- The widow whose name is Jamilah lives in an old house by herself
- The widower whose name is Jamil lives in an old house by himself
Contoh, he can teach himself how to understand English better (dia dapat mengajari dirinya sendiri cara memahami Bahasa inggris secara kebih baik). Penggunaan pronominal refleksi dalam contoh 2 di atas dimaksudkan untuk memberi penekanan (emphasis). Dalam hal ini, kalimat I myself wash my clothes, not my mother berarti “saya sendirilah yang mencuci pakaian saya, bukan ibu saya.”
Selanjutnya, penggunaan reflexive pronoun yang didahului oleh kata by seperti dalam contoh 3 di atas menunjukkan kesendirian pelaku atau dnegan kata lain tanpa bantuan orang lain atau tanpa ditemani orang lain. Jadi, the widow whose name is Jamilah lives in the old house by herself berarti: “Janda yang Namanya Jamilah itu tinggal di sebuah rumah tua sendirian.” (Baca juga: Pronomina Penghubung Lainnya (When, which, on which, etc.)
- Be careful or you will hurt to you
- He and his wife theirselves insisted that they get divorced
- Is it really important for all us to be hones with ourself?
- We ought to be responsible for what we have done by weselves
- The lazy boy, Kaslan, used to make hisself to get up earlier every morning, but he failed
- Be careful or you will hurt yourself
- He and his wife themselves insisted that they get divorced
- Is it really important for all us to be hones with ourselves?
- We ought to be responsible for what we have done by ourselves
- The lazy boy, Kaslan, used to make himself to get up earlier every morning, but he failed
Full in the blanks with suitable reflexive pronouns.
e.g.: amir …. Stopped the fight, not you. (amir himself stopped the fight, not you)
- I said to them, “you … should be responsible for that accident”.
- He said to me, “you must help … to whatever you like”.
- He said to us, “please make … at home”.
- An oven that cleans … is very handy
- A young girl can usually get dressed by … properly by the age of 10 years
- She had hoped that her children would enjoy …
- The garden is very untidy, but the house … is beautiful
- Does your father pour … a drink every morning?
- Does your uncle who is an old bachelor live by …?
- We believe that the One Supreme God created this world by …
Sumber: Muhibbin Syah. Cara Mudah Menerapkan English Grammar Kaidah & Latihan untuk Rujukan Belajar Sendiri. 2006. PT Raja Grafindo Persada, Jakarta