Pronomina Subject (It is he/it is you, etc.) – Subject pronouns/pronomina subjek seperti I, you, he, dan seterusnya adalah kata ganti atau pronomina untuk pelaku yang lazim menjadi pokok kalimat tetapi tak harus selalu berposisi di awal kalimat (lihat contoh 1 dan 2).
- If the weather is good, we will go to the beach.
- If the weather is good, I will go to the beach.
- If the weather is good, he will go to the beach.
- It is he/you whom the committee has named delegate to the conference
- It was he/you who gave me a ring last night
Pronomina you dalam kalimat it was you who gave me a ring last night (adalah engkau/engkaulah orangnya yang menelponku tadi malam) merupakan subject pronoun, sedang was adalah be untuk it bukan untuk you. jadi, kecenderungan mengungkapkan kalimat It is him…., It is her…. dan ungkapan lain yang sejenis dengannya harus dijauhi apabila pronomina hendak kita fungsikan sebagai subjek. ringkasnya jauhilah penggunaan object pronoun seperti him setelah be!
- If she came to I, I would lend her my dictionary
- Was it her whom the chairman named secretary?
- Is it yours whose house is not far from here?
- It is not him who lives in the house which is about five minutes walk from here
- It is hers whom everyone calls a coquettish widow
- If she came to me, I would lend her my dictionary
- Was it she whom the chairman named secretary?
- Is it you whose house is not far from here?
- It is not he who lives in the house which is about five minutes walk from here
- It is she whom everyone calls a coquettish widow
Fill in the blanks with suitable subjective pronouns.
- was it ….., David, whom nancy wanted to see her off at the airport?
- if david had not been very busy, …. would have seen her off
- it is …..whose wife, Martha, teaches us English on Mondays form eight to ten
- it is…..who stayed with her husband in the new house at the end of that street.
- if children eat too much, …. will probably get fat
- it is…., my dictionary, whose cover is dark blue
- if the weather was good, ….. would not rain cats and dogs
- it is not……, Aishah, whom Ali wanted to marry.
- it is not……, Fatimah, whom Ali got married to.
- It is ……, Mr. Abdullah, whose understanding of Arabic is excellent
Sumber: Muhibbin Syah. Cara Mudah Menerapkan English Grammar Kaidah & Latihan untuk Rujukan Belajar Sendiri. 2006. PT Raja Grafindo Persada, Jakarta