Surat Pribadi: Personal Letter in English – Teks khusus tentang surat pribadi atau personal letter in English yaitu memberi dan menerima informasi terkait kegiatan diri sendiri dan orang sekitarnya, sesuai dengan konteks penggunaannya.
Social Functions: personal letters are letters that are written to people we know such as friends, parents, siblings, and cousins. Letters are not only written to inform but to strengthen the bond between two people writing to each other.
- Accuracy of grammar is important
- Complete sentences are expected
- Slang can be used
- Use the contractions such as “I’ll”, “I’m”, “we,ll”.
- Use the personal pronouns such as “I”, “we”, “you”
- Use active voice
- Language use may be personal like first and second person pronouns
- Be warm
- Use the person’s name you are writing to
- Vary sentence length
- Write in a natural, conversation style
- Let your personality shine through in your writing (Bly, 2004)
Structure of Personal Letter
- Date: date when in the letter is written (top left)
- Address: place where you are writing from (top right)
- Salutation & name: Greeting and the person’s name you are writing to
- Introduction: the opening of the letter usually starts with how are you or prefers to previous letter
- Body: the main part of the letter. It in includes what you want to write to the other person
- Closure: the main part of the letter is going to end
- Complimentary close: short expressions like “love you”, “sincerely yours”, “love”.
- Signature: signature or initials of the writer
- Postscript P.S: after thought in a letter. You begin with P.S. and end it with your initials.
Some useful expressions for letter writing
- I’m just writing to thank you for …
- it was very kind of you to …
- Thanks very much for …
- I am very grateful for …
- Well, I thought about it and if I were you, I would …
- have you thought about …?
- In your last letter you said you weren’t sure what course of action to take, I suggest …
- I think you shouldn’t …
- In your last letter you asked me about …, I think …
Delivering good news
- I’m sure you will be happy to hear that …
- I am sure that you’ll be interested to know that …
- By the way, did you know what …?
- OMG! You’ll never guess what happened!
- I am totally ecstatic to hear about …
- I was happy beyond limits to read that …
Delivering bad news
- I’ms sorry but I have to tell you that …
- Bad news, I’m afraid, but no way to avoid it, so her it goes …
- I’m extremely sorry to hear that …
- It was heart wrenching to read about …
Asking for help
- I wonder if you could help me
- I hope it’s not too much to ask but …
- I wonder if I could ask you a favor. Could you …?
- I would like to apologize for …
- I’m sorry that …
- Words are not enough to erase the pain I have given you but I want to say how sorry I am …
Examples of expressions used in personal letters
- Salutations: “Dear”, “Dearest”, “sweetheart”, “darling”, “my dear”, My love”, etc. Salutations depend on how well you know the person you are writing to
- Closing: Yours, with love, sincerely yours, all the best, affectionately, much love, best wishes.
- Starting the letter: how are you?, hope this letter finds you …, thank you for your last letter, it was so good to hear from you, sorry for answering late, I’m sorry I should have written earlier…, haven’t heard from you in a while so I thought …, I am sorry to inform you that …
- Conclusion: I am looking forward to seeing you soon, I am looking forward to hearing from you soon, My best wishes for the coming test, see you, I will write soon, I will have to stop now, I am waiting for a quick reply, looking forward to seeing you again, bye.
Example of personal letter
35 Senggigi Raya
75009 Nusa Tenggara Timur (Address)
12th January 2014 (Date)
My dear Lovely Siti, (Salutation)
How are you, sweetie? (Intoduction) I know you are angry with me because I am writing to you after a long time. I am so sorry, please forgive me. You know we are in Lombok right now. It is so beautiful beyond imagination. I am writing to you from this really cute little cafe on the Senggigi beach. As you know, mum loves shopping, so she goes and will go for hours. I took a rain check from shopping and decided to write to you while I enjoy my cup of coffee.
You know, yesterday we went to Gili Nanggu Island; it is a Beach on the southwest of Lombok. The place is awesome. It is so beautiful I couldn’t believe my eyes. There are beautiful coral reefs everywhere. We went for snorkeling and we saw the most amazing fish ever. I wish you were here; it would have been much more fun.
Mum was making sure that we didn’t miss any sight in the whole city, so we had practically been everywhere. (The content of the letter)
I have to go, mum is here. I will see you soon. (Closure)
Lots of love (Closing)
P.S. I’m bringing you lots of souvenirs and pictures!! (Postscript)
(Sumber: Kementerian Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan RI 2017 Bahasa Inggris Kelas XI SMA/SMK/MAK)
Baca juga: Isu Actual dalam Analytical Exposition Text