Types of invitations Letter Formal and Informal – Penjelasan materi tentang type of invitations letter formal dan informal yaitu tipe-tipe surat undangan resmi ataupun tidak resmi
A formal invitation is an invitation which follows a dignified form, tone or style in agreement with the established norms, customs or values (Websters, 2012)
- An invitation to the opening of a school
- An invitation to a graduation ceremony
- An invitation to a wedding, etc.
Common format of a formal invitation:
- The first is the name(s) of the person(s) who invite(s)
- The second line is the request for participation
- The third line is the names of the person (s) invited
- The fourth line is the occasion for invitation
- The fifth line is the time and date of the occasion
- The sixth line is the place of the occasion
- The last line is the request for reply
Inviting people to formal and social events
- Simple, precise, and concise words
- Detailed information
- The tone should be friendly and sincere. Words should be chosen carefully
- The style of writing should be formal
Formal of layout:
- Addresses of the addresser and the addressee
- State of whom the invitation is and by who is it given
- Reasons of invitation
- S.V.P (it is an French word – “repondez s’il vous plait” which “means please reply”)
- The format of the envelope for the invitation is addressed the same way as the envelope of a letter (i.e. with the recipient’s address in the middle of the envelope and addresser’s address on the left hand corner of the envelope).
Ways of organizing information:
- Reasons for inviting others
- Detailed information about the party or event
- Ask friends to come by using a sincere tone
Responding to formal invitations
- Formal invitations should be responded to within 3 days
- Replies are written in third person
- Replies have to be handwritten
- Reason should be briefly stated for declining the invitation
Mr. and Mrs. Eri Utomo accept with pleasure the kind of invitation of Mr. and Mrs. Pujiyanto to the wedding ceremony of their daughter on Friday, the wealth of December at seven o’clock
Mr. and Mrs. Wibowo accept the invitation with pleasure
- Declining / regretting
Mr. and Mrs. Situmorang regret that they are unable to accept the kind invitation of Mr. and Mrs. Pujianto for Firday, the wealth of December at seven o’clock due to prior engagement
Mr. and Mrs. Wibowo regret to decline the invitation due to health reasons
- Responding card
The responding card comes with the invitation card. This card should preferably be handwritten
Active conversation: with a partner create dialogues to accept and decline invitations. Using the role play approach, re-enact the conversation with your classmates. You can model your conversation based on the examples of invitations given below.
Invitation to dinner
Joko: would you like to come over for dinner tonight?
Yeni: thank you! I’d love to. Would you likeme to bring something?
Joko: no, nothing, just come
Yeni: OK. What time?
Joko: at 7 p.m.
Yeni: OK, see you then
Invitation to the grand opening of ABC software company
Ariyanto: Mr. budi, I would like to invite you to the opening of my software company?
Mr. Budi: when and where?
Ariyanto: this Saturday at 10 a.m.
Mr. Budi: I am afraid I won’t be able to come. I have a prior engagement
Invitation to anniversary dinner
Yanti: Mr. Suharto, my husband and I are celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary. We would like you to join us
Mr. Suharto: oh, thank you! I would be delighted to. When is it?
Yanti: on Sunday at 8 p.m. in the Balai Kartini
Mr. Suharto: Ok, I will be there
Yanti: thank you. See you then!
Mr. Suharto: my pleasure. See you then!
(Sumber: Kementerian Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan RI 2017 Bahasa Inggris Kelas XI SMA/SMK/MAK)
Baca juga: Lyric Song Heal The World Michael Jackson