Verba Penimbul Hasil/Akibat (To have…sent, etc) – Kalimat-kalimat di bawah ini merupakan pola-pola ungkapan yang disebut causative (pembangkit/penimbul hasil atau akibat).
- I want to have this letter sent, please.
- I want to have my book given to her please
- I want to have this car fixed, please.
- The lecturer had his students study hard
- The lecturer made his students write essays
- The lecturer let his students finish their exercises at home
- Let’s get Mr. Omar to go to the mosque with us
- Let’s get our car fixed first
Kalimat I want to have this letter sent, please. Merupakan permohonan yang secara singkat berarti: saya mohon surat ini dikirimkan (contoh 1). Adapun kalimat the lecturer had his students write essays merupakan ungkapan bahwa dosen itu menyuruh para mahasiswanya Menyusun esai. Kata made dan let dalam contoh 2 diatas masing-masing berarti menyuruh dengan keras (memaksa) dan mengizinkan (membiarkan).
Baca juga: Ekspresi tanpa Persona Tertentu
Sementara itu, kata let’s get mengandung dua arti. Let’s get yang digabung dengan infinitive (seperti: to go) berarti mengajak, sedang let’s get yang digabung dengan participle suatu yang dalam hal ini memperbaiki mobil (contoh 3), (seperti: studying) harus dihindari apabila kita hendak menggunakan have, make dan let seperti contoh 1 dan 2. Namun, let dalam kalimat yang berkonotasi ajakan seperti let’s get, maka infinitive dan participle dapat digabungkan dengannya sesuai dengan maksudnya masing-masing. Perhatikanlah kalimat-kalimat dalam contoh 3 diatas!
- The gray-haired man who came here yesterday had a tooth fill
- I want to have my essay to be copied, please.
- Have you had your paper being copied yet?
- She made her oldest child to pray five times a day regularly
- She had her children memorized “Al-Fatihah” and some other short verses of the Holy Quran
- The gray-haired man who came here yesterday had a tooth filled
- I want to have my essay copied, please.
- Have you had your paper copied yet?
- She made her oldest child pray five times a day regularly
- She had her children memorize “Al-Fatihah” and some other short verses of the Holy Quran
Choose verbs in brackets suitable to the following sentences
- He said to his wife, “I want to have my shirt (wash/washed), please”.
- She said to her husband, “I want to have the shirt (put/be put) in the wash bin, please”.
- He didn’t have his wife (wash/to wash) all his clothes
- She made her husband (works/work) very hard to earn more money
- She said to her son, “Let’s get your father (to to window-shop/window-shop) with us
- He let his family (get/went) down town last Sunday
- Her son said, “I want to have the door (locked/lock), please
- She let her husband (to lock/lock) the door carefully
- The grandmother made her grandson (to take/take) his medicine
- After that, she made him (take a nap/take napping) immediately
Sumber: Muhibbin Syah. Cara Mudah Menerapkan English Grammar Kaidah & Latihan untuk Rujukan Belajar Sendiri. 2006. PT Raja Grafindo Persada, Jakarta